WHAT'S NEW THIS MONTH

A Beautiful Mind welcomes: Inkwell Ent. Owner LIZA LEE

A Beautiful Mind welcomes

LIZA LEE
(NJ / PA )





To show a diverse reach of readers that everything is possible all over the globe, what states or countries have you lived in? What state do you live in now?


I currently live in Newark, NJ. My husband and I purchased our first house in the Forest Hill area of Newark. I love it here! I am originally from Reading, PA and have lived in Norristown, PA - New York City - Bronx, NY and Jersey City, NJ.



1.  If there's a song that reflects your vibe, what would that song be?  Do you meditate, pray or/and take time to mentally relax?  If so, what part of the day? For how long?

I think that the song "Lady Grinning Soul" by David Bowie reflects my vibe. It was my moms song when she was young so it's an inherited song :-) 

A recent song that I have been really into is the song "Lost Stars" from the movie Begin Again. It asks a lot of questions about our general purpose and about what we are doing here. I have been in a very reflective state of mind for the past few months so I think that it makes sense that I am so attracted to this song. I listen to it every day.
Yes I do meditate, pray and mentally relax. For me a large part of relaxing is in reading self help and psychology books. I have been really into Gabrielle Bernstein and am currently reading "Spirit Junkie" and doing the exercises in it. Self reflection can be painful but I think that it is completely necessary in order to grow. I have also been using the YaaY You: Notes To Self to start my day off right. (I'm not just saying that, I really do!) 

2. Congratulations on your blessings and new goals. Tell us about 2 great projects/events that you were proud to be apart of in this lifetime.

1) In another life I was a jazz singer and songwriter. I made two projects (Scarlet Mark and Anima) with some of the greatest musicians on the NYC and world music scene. It really does feel like a lifetime ago but I am really honored and proud to have made two beautiful projects with some of my favorite people. It was one of the most exciting and creative times in my life.  

2) I am very proud of my company Inkwell Entertainment. I work really hard and it can be incredibly stressful being out there starting your own thing but I love being my own boss and I feel like we really get to serve the artists that we work for at Inkwell. I started Inkwell after working for and ultimately leaving a larger entertainment company who I did not feel had their clients best interests at heart. It was all about the bottom line and making money. I realize that making money is a necessity but not at the expense of the clients that we are working for. If it weren't for the talent, creativity and drive of the artists that I work with I wouldn't have a job. Not the other way around. I realize that and I am really lucky to work with such dynamic and legendary artists. I am humbled that our roster keeps growing and that we are known for our work ethic and ethical business practices.


3. You are amazing! What early part of your life's journey, prompted you to manage artists and have it become such a necessary outlet for you?


When I was a jazz singer I started to do very well. I had the same agent as George Benson and Stanley Clarke. People were responding really well to the music. Things were really picking up and then I suffered a stroke. It turns out that I have the autoimmune disease Lupus. At the time doctors told me that traveling and being the center of that sort of energy was probably not the best idea. I had no idea what I was going to do. I felt like my entire life's purpose was over. 

One night I went out to dinner with a friend who is a singer and she was talking to me about dealing with the guys on the business side of the music industry and how she was creeped out by so many of them. I started thinking about it and wondering why there aren't more female agents and managers? I woke up the next day went on Amazon and ordered a book about artist management. It changed my entire life for the better. I started my first company Inherent Artists that same week. I started managing my friends for free so that I could learn the ropes.

Fast forward five years and now I work with legendary artists and some amazing up and coming artists as well. I am so lucky to be able to be surrounded by music! I can't believe that it is my job to help these talented individuals push their music out into the world. My job is my obsession. I think about my clients all of the time. Everything about management appeals to me. You have to be extremely organized, you are part collaborator, part therapist, part lawyer, part mother and business partner all in one. I compare it to being the Wizard of Oz. You are the person behind the curtains who helps make it all happen for the artists. It is the greatest job in the world!!! 


4. With some of your successful experiences, allowing you to connect with other purposeful peoplewhat are some of your daily activities ?


One of the great things (mostly great) about management is that there is no set schedule. As long as I have access to wifi I can do my job from almost anywhere. I write a lot of emails and make a lot of phone calls. I have a lot of meetings. I have more conference calls then I'd like. That's for sure. That is the typical daily stuff. I also travel, go to shows, video shoots, recording sessions, etc. That is the fun part for me. Being with the artists. 




5.  What do you do for fun? What new fun thing would you like to try?



I hang out with my husband. We cookout at our new house and have friends and family over a lot. I spend time with my dogs. I read a lot and watch movies. I love to go out to dinner. I love museums and art. Going to shows. My husband I and I love the ocean so we make sure to go away at least once a year to a tropical destination. Honestly my job can be so time consuming and stressful that I try to be pretty low key when I am not working. Relaxing is fun for me :-) 

I would like to sky dive someday. I really want to visit Africa and China. I am trying to get into better shape and a goal of mine is definitely to run a marathon. 

6.  One thing on my Life List (something you'd still love to accomplish but haven't done yet in this lifetime) is...

FINDING PEACE & BALANCE. If I can accomplish that I believe that I will be able to accomplish most anything. 

7.  What/Who keeps you motivated in this ever changing world?


My husband Bruce is my rock. He is always there for me. He is also so supportive of my goals and my career aspirations. I cannot imagine my life without him. He challenges me to grow and loves me for exactly who I am now. 

My mom. She is the sweetest and kindest person that I know.

My brother. He has overcome addiction, now he works to help other people get clean. He is an amazing man.

My best friend Diane. She is also a manager. She totally understands where I am coming from and I think I do the same for her. I find that a lot of my friends are managers. It is such a unique job that unless you do it you can't really understand how consuming it can be. Diane is a beautiful person. If ever I have a problem I know that she is always there to listen. 

8.  What are 2 qualities that you prefer and respect about a mate at this point in your life?


Honesty and a sense of humor.


9.  Who gave you 1 really good piece of advice early on and what was it?


My mom always encouraged me to be myself. I am a pretty quirky person in general. Where and when I was growing up it was not common to be multi-ethnic (I am African American, Caucasian and Cherokee) and I also always had fairly unique taste so I got made fun of a lot in school. I remember asking my mom what I was. She said "You are a human." That always stuck with me. Just a human. Just like all of the other humans. I really believe that we are all connected. We all deserve to be happy. That's the bottom line. 


10. What piece of business advice would you like to share?

Follow up! Follow up! Follow up! I was in touch with one company about getting my client on a tour for over a year before I heard back. I reached back out every month or two before I finally got the call that they would love him to do the tour. 

GO WITH YOUR GUT! If it feels off there is probably a reason. Check in with yourself to make sure that you are not intimidated or standing in your own way. If that is not the case and it still feels wrong it probably is. If it feels right but no one else gets it that is ok too. You get it!

11. What is NEXT for you in 2015 and beyond?

To keep growing Inkwell and myself :-) 

12.   Choose 1: High Heel, Low Heel OR No Heel? No Heel. Barefoot whenever possible. 
        Choose 1: Novels, Biographies, Inspirational Book OR Blog ? Inspirational Books
        Choose 1: Fresh Fruit, Fruit Smoothie OR Fresh Fruit Juiced? Fresh Fruit


13. What ONE word would best describe YOU right now? 

HAPPY :-) 


Optional SideNote: In 2 sentence or less, what do you think of the YAAY YOU Blogazine? It is great to have such a heartfelt and Inspirational Blogazine out there and Marcella Precise is honestly one of my inspirations. 


****************************************
A Beautiful Mind welcomes: Inkwell Ent. Owner LIZA LEE A Beautiful Mind welcomes: Inkwell Ent. Owner  LIZA LEE Reviewed by YAAY YOU on 4:55 PM Rating: 5

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.