WHAT'S NEW THIS MONTH

'YAAY-YOU' INTERVIEW: SAY WAUGH

A Beautiful Mind welcomes
'YAAY-YOU' AUG/SEPT 2017:

AUTHOR / BLOGGER

SAY WAUGH





To show a diverse reach of readers that everything is possible all over the globe, what states or countries have you lived in? What state do you live in now? 
I have lived in New York and Connecticut. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York and I went to college and started my career in Connecticut. I moved back to Brooklyn in 2008.



1.       If there's a song that reflects your vibe, what would that song be?  Do you meditate, pray or/and take time to mentally relax?  If so, what part of the day? For how long?

It’s hard to pick one song because I pick songs based on my mood daily. I love R&B, Neo Soul, and Hip Hop (or songs with Trap beats when I need energy. Don’t judge me, lol)

If I had to pick one song to reflect my vibe would be India Arie’ “Get it Together” because it’s a song about constant healing and being accountable regardless of what is going on. Also, On & On by Erykah Badu because it reeks of “If you didn’t know, now you know. Respect my Queendom!” And you can insert anything by Beyoncé that has a dance beat. Lastly, I’ve been jamming to groups like Guy, Soul 4 Real, and New Edition in between.

Every morning before my feet touch the ground, I thank God / the Universe for allowing me to see another day. Then I ask for strength and guidance to have a productive and positive day.

I’ve tried meditation, but I find it hard to clear my mind so the guided meditations work sometimes. I choose the ones that focus on repeating affirmations. I love listening to Tracy G. Sometimes, I close my eyes and zone out to podcasts. My go-to podcast is hosted by Myliek Teele.


2.      Congratulations on your new goals. Tell us about 2 great projects/events that you were proud to be a part of in this lifetime.

I’ve been blessed to have a lot of opportunities. If I had to pick two events I’d say getting to interview the legendary actress Cicely Tyson, and being hired to manage the order of events at poet Sonia Sanchez’s 80th birthday party celebration. 


3. What early part of your life's journey, prompted you to create Say-Waugh.com and have it become such a necessary outlet for you?

When I first started out sharing my words on the internet, my blog was called Struggles of a Love Addict. I was in an 8-year relationship that collapsed in a horrific way. Writing had always been an outlet for me, but at that point, my blog was my lifeline! Say Waugh?! grew out of the need to want to expand beyond just writing about my relationship woes. I needed a space that encompassed all parts of the woman I was becoming outside of the relationship drama. Say Waugh?! still featured stories about my dating life, but it also had reviews and listings of great events for quirky chicks who could appreciate a good “me-date”. Say Waugh?! is currently under construction. It grows with me. So, now it’ll be a portfolio for my writing that has been published on other platforms, a base for some of my newer works of fiction, a home for my new-found love for wellness, a hub for original visual and audio content, and of course some new relationship updates as they develop.


4. With some of your successful experiences, such as being a lifestyle writer and author of  'Bubble Baths Sex & Hot Chocolate' allowing you to connect with other purposeful people, what are some of your daily activities?

The most fulfilling part of my existence is that I get to wake up every day and do something new. Some days I’m teaching workshops for pre-teens, young adults, as well as parents and educators; the next I’m interviewing some trailblazers for publications I write for, or practicing/choreographing a dance or step routine for a class I’ll be teaching.
In between that, I’m building websites, consulting for artists and small businesses, executing corporate events for clients.
My writing /creativity has opened up all of those doors.

5.  What do you do for fun? What’s a new fun thing would you like to try?

My favorite activity is going to the movies alone. I just like to sit there and get lost in the story. Other than that, my favorite thing to do is workout. It probably sounds boring, but technically my “fun” consists of anytime I can be unapologetically in my own head with no interruptions.
A fun thing I would like to try is traveling solo to an exotic place for a few weeks.
6.  One thing on my Life List  is...whenever I was asked what I wanted to be  when I grew up, I'd say "I want to be a writer for the New York Times." That is still at the top of my list. 
7.  What/Who keeps you motivated in this ever-changing world?

My go-to for daily support and motivation would have to be my boyfriend. We talk all day long, so he gets to see my entire process from struggle to triumph. Being an artist, every day is a roller coaster. I hate roller coasters. My boyfriend does a good job making sure I’m not in a constant state of panic. My backbones are also my parents and my sisters. When we have a moment to catch up, we always make sure everyone feels supported.
I’m also motivated by all of the people who I may or may not know who I’m watching go after their dreams.

8.  What are 2 qualities that you prefer and respect about a mate at this point in your life?

The two qualities I prefer from my mate at this point in my life is honesty and loyalty. What makes my relationship work is we try to tell each other everything, even if it may be hurtful for a moment. I love hard, and I’ll always be there for someone I can trust.

9.  Who gave you 1 really good piece of advice early on and what was it?

I think the best advice I have ever received is “If you don’t hear, you will feel.” It’s a common phrase I heard from my Jamaican parents growing up. It was used mainly to caution against not following directions. But it has become a staple because it reminds me to pay attention to what people say and don’t say, as well as to look out for signs in my daily life because if I don’t, then the lesson may be harder to learn with way more bumps than necessary.

10. What piece of business advice would you like to share?

I’ll take this moment to be cliché and quote Uncle Luke. My advice is “Don’t Stop. Get it. Get it.”

I regret nothing about my journey, however, I know that if I kept going in certain areas I’d be a lot further as opposed to having to re-build.

11. What is NEXT for you in 2017 and beyond?

Say Waugh?! should be up and running with new content by August 2017.  I have a web series and podcast in the works. I plan to be in final stages of my fiction novel by the end of the year, and I’ll be releasing a special edition of my first book “Bubble Baths, Sex, and Hot Chocolate” on Valentine’s Day 2018. In the wellness world, I’ll be pursuing a few more certifications in group fitness styles, and I’ll be a fully certified Life/Business/Relationship coach by the Spring 2018.

12.   Choose 1: High Heel, Low Heel OR No Heel? 
        Choose 1: Novels, Biographies, Inspirational Book OR Blog ? 
        Choose 1: Fresh Fruit, Fruit Smoothie OR Fresh Fruit Juiced?

No Heel
Novels or Collections of Personal Essays
Fresh Fruit


13. What ONE word would best describe YOU right now? 

Happy.

Optional SideNote: In 2 sentence or less, what do you think of the YAAY YOU Blogazine? 

I think it’s a wonderful platform filled with positivity and I’m honored to be a part of it!
'YAAY-YOU' INTERVIEW: SAY WAUGH 'YAAY-YOU' INTERVIEW: SAY WAUGH Reviewed by YAAY YOU on 7:11 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.