WHAT'S NEW THIS MONTH

DEIDRE WEST at YAAY-YOU NOV/DEC 2017 "CHOOSING TO BE THANKFUL" E-Issue


YAAY-YOU's A Beautiful Mind section welcomes

'YAAY-YOU' NOV/DEC 2017:

DEIDRE WEST





To show a diverse reach of readers that everything is possible all over the globe, what states or countries have you lived in? 

What state do you live in now?

I grew up in Ohio, moved to New York, lived in New Jersey for a short period of time, and since then I have been back in New York.


1.  If there's a song that reflects your vibe, what would that song be?  Do you meditate, pray or/and take time to mentally relax?  If so, what part of the day? For how long?



Maxwell’s “Mello Smooth” is that song for me. It gives me a sense of calmness and happiness. Yes, I pray at various times of the day, no set time or duration. Sometimes you just need prayer to get through the day. Meditation is something that I would like to try but it is so hard to slow my mind. Over the years I have learned that you must relax your mind; however, I am a Virgo so I am constantly thinking…and overthinking!




2. Congratulations on your new goals. Tell us about 2 great projects/events that you were proud to be a part of in this lifetime.


Thank you. One of the events that I was proud to be a part of was the first women in engineering, science, and technology event for high school girls at NYU School of Engineering (then NYU-Poly); it was called Poly W.E.S.T. It was a day unlike any other where girls could see and hear from women that look like them in these fields from cable, cosmetics, and the transportation industries.

The second was last year when I planned a gala where Henry Belafonte was the honoree. On top of that Morgan Freeman was there to introduce him. I have always loved and admired Mr. Belafonte since I was a little girl, so to be the person to bring this event to life…the tears still flow when I think about it.



3. What early part of your life's journey, prompted you to become a Adjunct Instructor at West Virginia University and  have it become such a necessary outlet for you?


The summer between my senior year of high school and freshman year of college, I attended a program at Ohio University (where I would be going in the fall) that was in the School of Education. Since I was an undeclared major, I was eligible to attend to learn about what the school had to offer. I saw it more of an opportunity to explore something new and to get a jump on college life. I learned about the principles of becoming a teacher and though I was intrigued, I knew it was not what I wanted to choose as my major. I needed something that provided more flexibility for creativity.

I have always been one that likes to share information (resources, contacts, best practices, etc.). I may be more liberal with my contacts when it comes to giving information to others but to me, sharing is caring and being able to “help” people to make a connection is important to me. I believe that my relationship with a contact will remain intact, even if I introduce them to someone new. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that the need for event planners will grow 33% through 2022, or three times the projected growth rate for all occupations, so being able to share my experience and knowledge with students who will one day enter the field seemed like a natural progression.  




4. With some of your successful experiences, such as being a Marketing Consultant and a part of the New York University staff, allowing you to connect with other purposeful people, what are some of your daily activities as the Director of Special Events and Celebrity Engagement at the Children's Health Fund?




Relationships are essential. I reach out to people that I have been in contact with throughout my career for various reasons. Every day I am trying to maintain connections and establish new ones as I am in the process of planning events. This fall, we could have up to four different events so creating meaningful experiences requires ideation, collaboration and research. At this moment I am looking for the perfect place in Las Vegas to have a dinner for 60 people, trying to secure a celebrity or athlete for our young professionals’ event, at the beginning stages of planning next year’s gala, and thinking of ideas for new partnerships.
5.  What do you do for fun? What new fun thing would you like to try?


For fun I like to spend time with my circle. This could be getting together at one of their homes, going out to eat, seeing a movie, or simply catching up over drinks (or dessert!). Quality time is one of the things that we as people take for granted but having a close knit circle of people really know, love and appreciate you...there is nothing better than that!

I would love to try ziplining.

6.  One thing on my Life List is...Getting married and starting a family

7.  What/Who keeps you motivated in this ever changing world?


My parents. The desire that I have for them to see me succeed is more about them than me. It is to show that their hard work and sacrifices were purposeful.

8.  What are 2 qualities that you prefer and respect about a mate at this point in your life?


Forward-thinking and honesty

9.  Who gave you 1 really good piece of advice early on and what was it?


It was not so much in the form of advice but more of a way of approaching business and life. I started my career in the music industry as Chris Lighty’s assistant. He was all about “making it happen” and that is exactly what he expected of me (and everyone on his team). I have held onto that and it has been more applicable and beneficial than you could ever imagine.




10. What piece of business advice would you like to share?



Treat everyone well. The assistant that you mistreat one day may be a VP/top exec., entrepreneur or notable person that you might end up crossing paths again. That person may be an integral part of a deal or connection that you need, so you do not want to burn bridges. Life is funny that way and most people move up and from company-to-company, so you never know “who” somebody will become.



11. What is NEXT for you in 2017 and beyond?


There are some great things on the horizon, both professionally and personally. I am looking forward to watching things unfold!
12.   Choose 1: High Heel, Low Heel OR No Heel? No heel. I’m a Chucks kind of girl.
        Choose 1: Novels, Biographies, Inspirational Book OR Blog ? Novels
        Choose 1: Fresh Fruit, Fruit Smoothie OR Fresh Fruit Juiced? I love Jamba Juice and Smoothie King but I am trying to eat more fresh fruit these days.



13. What ONE word would best describe YOU right now? 


Focused

Optional Side Note: In 2 sentence or less, what do you think of the YAAY YOU Blogazine? 

I like that YAAY YOU celebrates women. Kudos to Marcella for creating such a positive blogazine!
DEIDRE WEST at YAAY-YOU NOV/DEC 2017 "CHOOSING TO BE THANKFUL" E-Issue DEIDRE WEST at YAAY-YOU NOV/DEC 2017 "CHOOSING TO BE THANKFUL" E-Issue Reviewed by YAAY YOU on 9:24 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.